How to use the eto Practice Tools
Most of the what you can do is very obvious. There are a few which are handy to use but not so obvious. Please try things you won’t do any damage:)
However don’t hesitate to ask questions via the comments box.
- Tap Play: the Menu slides to the side and the Music Plays from Bar 1 until the end of the study.
- Swipe the screen and the Menu and the Notation toggles back and fore.
- Double Tap the Notation Screen and the Music Pauses
- Double Tap again and the Music Starts from where it Paused
- Tap the Play Button when the music is playing and the music will pause
- Tap the Pause Sign and the music will start again
The Pause Button
- When the Pause Button is clicked the button will change to Play and white text will appear as a prompt to remind you that you are in Pause mode.
- If the Play button is clicked again the song will play from that exact position (no fade up).
- To return to Bar 1 or your chosen Start Bar click the Back Button (the smaller button to the left of the Play button.)
- Before you can Choose another song you must ‘un-pause’ the music by tapping the Back Button.
Setting Start and End Bars: choose a section of the song to practise over and over until correct
- Each Bar of music has a number.
- On the screen the numbers are displayed for every Bar.
- They are the same as the printed music in the 2017 Pack
- If you need to refer to the separate Rehearsal Instructions for a detailed explanation of how to navigate a score. That is how to follow musical signs such as Repeats, Del Segno, Coda etc.
- When you first Press Play the Song will play from Bar 1 to the very end.
- To Play from a particular Bar enter that Bar number as a Start Bar.
- Press Play and the Song will play from your chosen Bar to the very end of the song.
Choosing to Repeat a Bar or Section of the Music
- If you want to choose a section or a single Bar to practise over and over again you can enter an End bar as well as a Start Bar.
- Click on the Black Repeat icon and it will turn White.
- Press Play and the song will fade up during the Bar before your chosen Start bar. This will lead you in, give you an introduction, in time and in pitch.
- The song will continue to play until the end of your chosen End Bar, fade down through the next bar and then return to your Start Bar and Repeat…until you click the Pause Button (the Play Button which has changed to Pause.
Practising at different tempi (speeds):
- Tap on the + or – icons to change the tempo at which the music is played.
- The tempi will increase or decrease in increments of 10 beats per minute…even to half speed without any change in quality.
As explained in the How to Practice Blogs practising slowly is very important…or put another way do not be tempted to move on to a faster speed until you are in total control at a particular tempo. At least the App will ‘keep you company’ whilst you do the hard work…it will pay dividends
If an App has an accompaniment and/ or other parts of an ensemble. separate faders will be made available for separate audio parts. You can adjust the volumes to suite your practice needs.
Some studies or technical exercises have no accompaniment but you have the option of lowering / turning off the solo part and playing on your own with the Beat Counter helping to keep you in time.